Saturday 17 January 2009

An indiscriminate act of kindness : Foy Vance



In Ulster during 'the troubles' we experienced many 'indiscriminate acts of violence'.I'm sure Mr Vance is playing on this phrase which he uses to powerful effect.I also like the phrase 'random acts of kindness'. As Christ's followers we must always be open to being the vessels of such actions. I only recently heard this singer and can wholeheartedly say 'enjoy'.

She came from the cold wet
Dropped her luggage bags
Looked the concierge in the eye
Said, 'I need a room for the night,
But I don't got no money.
Would you take payment of any kind?'

He said, 'It's alright
I got a room here, you can share mine.
Make the bed in the morning and that'll do fine.
You can change in the bathroom,
Hang your clothes on the line.'
A tear came to her eye
She thought how could he be so kind
How could he be so kind (x2)

She sat down on the bed with a needle
He said, 'I'd hate to see you bleed,
Just fetch a warm towel,
I'll sit with you til you're dry.'
She started to cry
Said, 'Why? why? why? why? why? why?'

Consider it an indiscriminate act of kindness.
(x3)

She was cold turkey
He was holding her hand
She said, 'I was ruined by man,
This was never in my plans.
I dreamed of men who loved me,
Together we'd see the world.
Somehow I lost myself among the insults they hurled.'

'I'm sure your a wonderful woman,
And someday there will surely be someone.
So just relax now, it's important that you're calm.'

She said, 'How is it you can see past me as I am?'

Consider it an indiscriminate act of kindness.
(x3)

'When you took your chances,
It was like you placed a bet.
And sometimes this is the reward you can get.
I was always taught
If you see someone defiled,
You should look them in the eyes and smile,
And take their heart, no better yet
Take them home, home, home.'

She awoke early in the morning
Made the bed, gathered up her clothes to leave
Saw the concierge curled on the settee
Said, 'What you did for me was hard for me to believe.'

'I was just doing what was right.
No one that knows love could leave you out there on such a night.
If you can help someone,
Bare this in mind
And consider it an indiscriminate act of kindness.'

Consider it an indiscriminate act of kindness.
(x7)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought the lyrics of the song are terrific - i couldn't download the music here but wil try on return.
regards
peter

Anonymous said...

He looks like Bruce Willis. Like the words.

rachel said...

o i love foy vance, great choice of singer. haven't heard this song before though, thanks for bringing it to my attention! the lyrics are usually so hard to make out, however, good job on getting them. really got the sense of what he wanted to say. brill!