Saturday 31 October 2009

Bob Dylan - Believe In You [Live Toronto 1980]



I remember buying my first Bob Dylan cassette tape in the late 1970's. The album was called 'Slow train coming' and it was to be played constantly on my little cassette player for over a year- even after a year I still couldn't make out all the words on it!In fact I only discovered what they were several years later when I saw the sheet music in a local Music store in Belfast!

Nevertheless,the news was that Dylan had become a Christian and that his concerts had become something like gospel meetings. The first time I had heard Dylan sing was some years before when my brother played his most famous song 'Blowing in the Wind' from his greatest hits L.P. I remember asking him who on earth was singing and destroying such a beautiful song! But with this new album I truly began to appreciate his sound and in particular his lyrics. The track 'Believe in you' which was on this album describes the loneliness and rejection he was beginning to experience as a new believer along with his unequivocal dedication towards his new Master.It seemed the mark of a true disciple of Jesus and it struck a chord with many young believers at the time. Even today, by listening to it again you can feel the intensity and sincerity of the song as well as the singer.

So you don't have to wait so long to find out what the words are, I have included them below.

Believe In You
They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I'll make it through.
And they, they look at me and frown,
They'd like to drive me from this town,
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.

They show me to the door,
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to,
And I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter,
I believe in you even though we be apart.
I believe in you even on the morning after.
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Don't let me drift too far,
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed.
And that which you've given me today
Is worth more than I could pay
And no matter what they say
I believe in you.

I believe in you when winter turn to summer,
I believe in you when white turn to black,
I believe in you even though I be outnumbered.
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.

Don't let me change my heart,
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue.
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.

1 comment:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

"I remember asking him who on earth was singing and destroying such a beautiful song!"

Yep! When I was a college student, I couldn't stand the sound of Bob Dylan's singing, it seemed so rough and almost like an old drunk was trying to sing. I preferred the melodious singing of Paul Simon or Judy Collins.

Many years later, I got used to it, but rarely is it "music to my ears" altho his lyrics certainly are.

I also had a hard time with hearing the lyrics correctly on his "Slow Train Coming" album. I love to sing, and I was always singing the songs as I thought they were, and I was pretty surprised when I actually saw the real lyrics, especially on "Gotta Serve Somebody." I just couldn't hear "maybe you're a Young Turk…" I didn't know what he was singing there!

I love Bob Dylan's songs now, as I said, but it's his lyrics that really speak to me. He is a prophetic soul, and being both a Jew and a Christian is a testimony of how God deals with people sometimes.

Like Johnny Cash whose life also was not "clean and bright" all the time, Bob does sing a strong testimony, and his music sometimes helps scrape us off the floor when we've had a fall.

Glory to God.